A couple of days ago, I was praying about what to pray, and I saw the word "YOU" in my mind. I didn't understand it at the time. I interpreted this to mean that I should pray for myself but the meaning wasn’t clear. By the way, I have noticed a pattern. I believe that the Holy Spirit will sometimes plant a seed in us (a thought, an image, a word) and will allow this to grow in us over time before He reveals and confirms what was planted. He plants the seed, allows it grow, and shows us when the fruit is ripe for the harvest! Praise God! That's exactly what happened here…
This morning the Holy Spirit showed me the meaning of "YOU". As I have shared before, I have a prayer that I have updated over the years and this morning as I was reading it, the Holy Spirit showed me something new!
I believe in the biblical principle of tithing, the giving of 10% of the first fruits given to us back to God. I believe that this applies to our finances but also to our time. I have heard this many times but rarely put this into practice. I am trying to do this now and I can tell you that it is a game changer. When I give the first 10% of my time back to God, the remaining 90% is 1000% better than my 100% could have ever been otherwise. That's God math folks. It won't work on a human calculator, so if you are scratching your head, drop this into the faith bucket. I can't explain it but I can confirm that it works.
So it was within this time of giving God first priority that He showed me something new. Even though I was praying my prayer to God, I wasn't praying it for God. What I didn’t realize at first is that I was praying a self-centered prayer. The emphasis was on me and not on God. After a few minutes, I felt the Holy Spirit speak to me and say "Read it again and put the focus on YOU." There it was. Let me tell you, this was the difference between throwing a bullet and shooting a bullet out of a gun. There was no comparison. This was revelatory. The prayer immediately went from a human experience to a spiritual experience.
Let me show you what I mean. First, read the line below and think about yourself in the words. Put the emphasis on the letter "I" and think about yourself as you pray. "I" love you, "I" praise you, "I" serve you. This was how I was praying. I was thinking about MY love, MY praise, and MY service. WRONG! When I put the emphasis on myself this was actually pride which can stand in the way of our communication with God. This was the exact opposite of what I was trying to do. But when I put the emphasis on God, everything changed. The prayer shifted from reading to worshipping. I love YOU for who YOU are, I praise YOU for who YOU are, and I serve YOU because of who YOU are. This seemingly simple change is key to honoring God in our prayers, in our worship, and in our relationship with our Heavenly Father.
Try praying the words below while focusing on God with extra emphasis on the word YOU and I believe this will honor Him and bless you.
• I love you for who you are, I praise you for who you are, and I serve you because of who you are
• There is none like you, none before you, none besides you, and none after you, you are great and your name is mighty in power (Jeremiah 10:6)
• You are the Alpha and the Omega, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty, the first and the last, the beginning and the end (Revelation 1:8, 22:13)
• You are the King of kings and Lord of lords (1 Timothy 6:15)…
• You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6)
• You are our Rock and Fortress and Deliverer (2 Samuel 22:2)
• You are our Rock and our Redeemer (Psalm 19:14)
• You are our Hiding Place from Trouble (Psalm 32:7)
• You are our refuge and strength an ever-present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1)
• You are my strength, my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, and my high stronghold. I call upon you Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. (Psalm18:1-6)
• You are greater than the one that is in the world (1 John 4:4)
• You are our Salvation and our Defender
• You are the Author (pioneer) and the Finisher (perfecter) of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)
• You are our Hope and our future (Jeremiah 29:11)
• You are the great I AM (Exodus 3:14)
• You are from everlasting to everlasting (Psalm 90:2)
• You are from glory to glory (2 Corinthians 3:18)
• You are a strong tower (Proverbs 18:10)
• I am overwhelmed by you (let God be the only thing that overwhelms you)
• You are an Awesome God and worthy to be praised. (only God is Awesome)
• You are the Lord Almighty
• You are the King of glory
• I come humbly and boldly before your throne in the name of Jesus
• I thank you that you are the plan and that you are my plan. I put my trust in you.
• I surrender all to you
• I pray that you will increase and that I will decrease
• I pray for your voice in my life
• I pray for your will to be done, not my own
• I glorify you with my body and spirit, which are yours (1 Corinthians 6:20)
• You are good and your love endures forever (Psalm 136:1)
• Thank you for the day
• Thank you for all that you give us
• Thank you for the breath and bread of life
• Thank you for what you are about to do…
• Thank you for your mercy and your grace
• Thank you for supplying all our needs according to the riches of your glory in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19)
• Thank you that every thought is captive and obedient to you (2 Corinthians 10:5)
• Let your favor rest on us and establish the work of our hands (Psalm 90:17)
• Please deliver us from evil
• Please deliver us from and make us strong against temptation
• Please forgive me of and protect us from pride, lust, lies, greed, envy, jealousy, idolatry, selfishness, being judgmental, and anything else that is displeasing to you
• Please help me not to conform to the pattern of the world but to be transformed by the renewing of my mind (Romans 12:2)
• Please place a hedge of protection around us and send your protective angels to watch over us (Psalm 91:11-12)
• Please allow us to have a closer, more intimate walk with you
• Please give us strength, fill us with your wisdom, and may your grace be upon us (Luke 2:39)
God is faithful!
Blessings to you all!